Decorative candles for sale : Beach wall decor : Patent decor

Decorative Candles For Sale

decorative candles for sale

  • (decoratively) in a decorative manner; "used decoratively at Christmas"

  • (decorativeness) an appearance that serves to decorate and make something more attractive

  • Serving to make something look more attractive; ornamental

  • Relating to decoration

  • cosmetic: serving an esthetic rather than a useful purpose; "cosmetic fenders on cars"; "the buildings were utilitarian rather than decorative"

    for sale
  • For Sale is the fifth album by German pop band Fool's Garden, released in 2000.

  • For Sale is a tour EP by Say Anything. It contains 3 songs from …Is a Real Boy and 2 additional b-sides that were left off the album.

  • purchasable: available for purchase; "purchasable goods"; "many houses in the area are for sale"

  • A cylinder or block of wax or tallow with a central wick that is lit to produce light as it burns

  • (candle) the basic unit of luminous intensity adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites; equal to 1/60 of the luminous intensity per square centimeter of a black body radiating at the temperature of 2,046 degrees Kelvin

  • A unit of luminous intensity, superseded by the candela

  • (candle) examine eggs for freshness by holding them against a light

  • (candle) stick of wax with a wick in the middle

The History of Braunstone Park

The History of Braunstone Park

The first records of Braunstone are found in the Doomsday Book of 1086 where it is referred to as Brantestone or Brant’s Tun. Braunstone was a daughter settlement of nearby Glenfield and was established in the late 8th or early 9th Century, sited at the southern edge of Leicester Forest.

As a result of the Norman Conquest much of England was divided amongst William’s 1st noblemen. Braunstone was given to Hugh de Grantemesnil, one of his most trusted Barons and the son of Robert Burdet is named as holding the land. The village consisted of eight households and was worth about 60 shillings.

Over the centuries many noble families were connected with the Manor and lands of Braunstone, either as owners or as tenants. In 1246 Roger de Queney is named as owning the land, on his death it passed through the female line to the Ferres of Groby. At one time it appears that the Hastings held the land jointly with the Greys and by 1299 Hugh de Braunstone gave a life interest to William de Herle. Between the 13th and 16th centuries, the Harecourts held an overriding interest in the estate.

In the late 16th century several portions of Braunstone were sold off. 150 acres of arable land were sold to the Manners family in 1579 and a further 100 acres went to the Bennett family ten years later. In 1596 over 240 acres of land was converted to pasture by the Hastings’ family.

The Winstanley Family
During the civil war (1642-1649) Sir Henry Hastings a younger son of the Earl of Huntingdon held allegiance to the royal forces of King Charles I. After the war his estates were confiscated by the parliamentarians and the fine of ?2072 led to bankruptcy.

The Winstanleys’ came to Braunstone in the mid 17th century. James Winstanley purchased the estate from the executors of the Hastings family after the death of Henry Hastings’ in 1649, for the sum of ?6,000.

A quitclaim in 1651 gave him freehold interest in the estate of Braunstone.

The Winstanley’s played a vital role in determining the future economic and social history of their properties in and around Braunstone and Kirby Muxloe for the next 275 years. They had a reputation for being fair-minded and judicious, holding important roles as leading dignitaries in The Leicester Corporation. Their decisions influenced the lives of the communities of both Braunstone and Leicester.

James Winstanley was a puritan and a lawyer by profession in the service of the Duchy of Lancaster before taking up residence in Braunstone. He and his wife Catherine had three children.

Their home was an old Elizabethan Manor built in approximately 1480 and is thought to have stood south of Braunstone Lane, close to the site of Old Hall Farm that was demolished in 1967. The Manor had stonewalled cellars and above the ground floor, two upper overhanging storeys of oak frame infilled with daub and wattle or brick.

James Winstanley was a member of Grey’s Inn and the Recorder of Leicester, a position he held until his failure to conform in 1662. While in office he Proclaimed Oliver Cromwell as Lord Protector. He died in 1666 and the estate passed to his eldest son Clement.

Clement like his father was a member of Grays Inn and his wife was also called Catherine. Clement died in 1672 and was buried in the family vault under the alter of the 12th century church of St. Peter’s in Braunstone village.

Their eldest son James became the third Winstanley to inherit the estate. He was also a member of Grays Inn and M.P. for Leicester. James married Frances, daughter of James Holt of Castleton and their only son, also named James, took over on the death of his father in 1719. He was elected to the post of High Sheriff of Leicester and married his cousin Mary Prideaux. In 1750 he bored for coal near the lakes on Braunstone Park, hoping to cash in on the lucrative trade. But one night after two weeks of hard work by his estate hands, saboteurs, thought to be from the Leicestershire Colliers, filled the bore hole with rocks and stones. With his attempt to find coal thwarted he never continued with the venture. He died in 1770.
James was succeeded by his son, another Clement. In 1775 he commissioned the local architect and builder William Oldham (who later became the Lord Mayor of Leicester) to construct the present hall. The design typical of the period, a solid Georgian residence.
The Hall was built on a rise with views overlooking charnwood forest and set in one hundred acres of fine parkland. During its construction scaffolding from the top floor collapsed, killing a labourer and a stonemason with many more badly injured. This may have led to the first stories of the Hall being haunted. A water head made of lead still exists, inscribed with the date 1776.

Clement also held the Office of High Sheriff of Leicester and in 1774 a remarkable procession took place. It was the custom to accompany the Judge to the Assizes Court at the Leicester Castle. The procession left from Braunstone Hall in military fashion. Thirty

Hardenbrook-Somarindyck House

Hardenbrook-Somarindyck House

135 Bowery, The Bowery, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States

The Hardenbrook-Somarindyck House, a Federal style rowhouse at No. 135 Bowery in Lower Manhattan, was built c. 1817 and, for 150 years, the property was associated with the intertwined, wealthy and prominent Hardenbrook and Somarindyck families, serving as the family residence of John A. Hardenbrook, his wife nee Maria Aymar, and later of their daughter, Rebecca Hardenbrook Somarindyck, until 1841. Hardenbrook was a broker who was one of the 24 men who signed the Buttonwood Agreement in 1792 that established the New York Stock and Exchange Board (predecessor to the New York Stock Exchange). He became an import merchant, and then a soap and candle manufacturer, with his business next door at No. 133. At this time, the lower Bowery was a fashionable address for New York’s social elite and wealthy merchant class. This building remained in the Somarindyck family until 1944. For over six decades, from 1841 to 1907, No. 135 Bowery was the location of the nationally significant business of the Wilson family, saddlers, harness- and trunkmakers, and purveyors of firemen’s equipment, and was for many years the family residence as well.

The Hardenbrook-Somarindyck House is among the oldest of the relatively rare extant and substantially intact Manhattan houses of the Federal period and style (many such houses were raised with additional stories in the later 19th century), and is significant as a rare surviving house from the period of the lower Bowery’s history as an elite neighborhood in the post-Revolutionary War era, the other being the Edward Mooney House (c. 1785-89) at No. 18. Despite alterations, it is notable as a grand early Federal style rowhouse due, particularly, to its original form and materials, with its three-and-a-half-story height and 22-foot width, high peaked roof with two pedimented dormers and end chimney, and front facade with Flemish bond brickwork (now painted).


Early History and Residential Development of the Lower Bowery

Prior to the arrival of European fur traders and the Dutch West India Company, Manhattan and much of the present-day tri-state area was populated by bands of Lenape Indians. The Lenape traveled from one encampment to another with the seasons. Fishing camps were occupied in the summer and inland camps were used during the fall and winter to harvest crops and hunt. The main trail ran the length of Manhattan from the Battery to Inwood, following the course of Broadway adjacent to present-day City Hall Park, before veering east toward the area now known as Foley Square. It then ran north with major branches leading to habitations in Greenwich Village and the Lower East Side at a place called Rechtauck or Naghtogack in the vicinity of Corlears Hook. In 1626, Director-General Peter Minuit of the Dutch West India Company “purchased” the island of Manhattan from the Lenape for sixty guilders worth of trade goods.

The Bowery was, like Broadway, originally part of a Native American trail extending the length of Manhattan; during the Dutch colonization, slave laborers widened the portion of this pathway linking the city of New Amsterdam at the southern tip of Manhattan with a group of bouweries, or farms, established by the Dutch West Indies Company to supply its fledging settlement. After 1664, when the British took control of New Amsterdam and renamed it New York, this “Bowry Lane” became a component of the Post Road linking New York City and Boston. It was officially designated “The Bowery” in 1813.

During the period of Dutch rule, the area now known as the Lower East Side was divided into a number of large farms. The land on which today’s No. 135 Bowery is situated was part of what was known as Bouwery No. 4, which was also known as the Pannebacker’s Bouwery until the early 19th century. The earliest settler is not known but it was probably occupied by a tile baker or brick maker. Bouwery No. 4 was granted to Gerrit Jansen van Oldenborch on February 17, 1646, by William Kieft, Director of the Dutch West India Company. On October 27, 1649, Gerrit Jansen exchanged this farm for the Mallesmitsberg with Thomas Hall. Hall leased the property to Cornelius Gertsen on August 18, 1660, and then conveyed it by deed dated October 30, 1662, to Cornelius Steenwyck. Before 1666, Steenwyck had taken in Oloff Stevenson van Cortlandt as a partner. Upon Steenwyck’s death in 1684, his widow Margarita Reimers inherited his interest in the property and four years later she and her new husband, the Reverend Henricus Selyns, a minister in the Dutch Reformed Church, took over Van Cortlandt’s interest from his son, Jacobus. This land became known as “The Dominie’s Farm.” The block on which No. 135 Bowery is situated was within the Dominie’s Farm that James DeLancey purchased from the heirs of Margarita Reimers Selyns in 1741.

James DeLancey died intestate in 1760 and his eldest son, also name

decorative candles for sale

See also:

modern living room decorations

girl room decor ideas

toddler room decorating ideas

easter yard decor

home decoration blog

wedding tables decor

console table decorating ideas

decorate office at work

white decorative mirrors

western decorating tips

Category: None

TrackBack Url